Wednesday 22 July 2015

Ice Cream

I know the title of this blog is 'Baked by Rach' but ever so occasionally I do enter the kitchen to make other things besides baked treats! This week the frozen peas and carrots were shoved to the side to make way for my ice cream maker. At the bottom of our garden we have a vegetable patch which actually mainly consists of strawberries. So as not to waste them, my Mama has been making some strawberry conserve, I made some strawberry coulis, together we made some strawberry jam and finally I have been busy making some strawberry ice cream.

I first gave ice cream making ago this time last year, again to make use of the homegrown products and I have to say, homemade ice-cream is delicious! So creamy with very subtle flavours, a perfect summer evening  treat. In fact, my sister became quite territorial over the freezer last year nudging anyone heading for the last scoop out of her way!



 When I got my ice cream making I invested in a Ben and Jerry's recipe book which I would highly recommend. The book gives you a basic 'sweet cream base' recipe which is the fundamental part to all ice cream making and then its up to you to go crazy with flavour choices - of course there are lots from B&J to try, or your can experiment with your own.

As well as strawberry ice cream I also made a batch of my absolute favourite flavour - mint choc chip. I've written up both for you here.

This recipe does require an ice cream maker - when I get a chance I will have a look at adapting the recipe to 'no churn'. My kitchen aid came with a free ice cream maker attachment which is what I have used here. After using the below method to make mix it is important that you follow the manufactures guidance for your specific ice cream maker for churning. I've recommend 15 minutes but that is for my maker - you may need to adapt this for yours.


Ben and Jerry's measure everything in cup sizes but I have added the metric measurements as well incase you don't have any measuring cups.

So to make one lots of sweet cream base which makes between 1 and 1.5 litres of ice-cream you will need:

  • 3/4 cup or 150g caster sugar
  • 2 cups or 500ml whipping cream
  • 1 cup or 250ml milk
  • 2 eggs
To make your sweet cream base:
  • Whisk the eggs for a 2 minutes until the lighter in colour and fluffy
  • Gradually whisk in the sugar, once all the sugar has been added continue whisking for a further minute
  • Add the cream and milk and whisk together
This is where you add your chosen flavours.

To make strawberry ice-cream:
  • For 1 hour, soak a pint or 560g of hulled strawberries in the juice of half a lemon with 1/3 cup or 40g of caster sugar. After 1 hour blend using a food processor. If you don't have a blender you can mash the strawberries this will just mean your ice-cream will have some larger bits of strawberry in it.
  • Combine the strawberry mixture with your sweet cream base and church for around 15 minutes.


Strawberry ice cream with home grown berries and homemade coulis
To make mint choice chip ice cream:
  • Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract, a small amount of green food colouring and as many choice chips as you want (I opted for loads) to your sweet cream base before churning for around 15 minutes.

Once your ice cream has churned transfer to to a freezable box (ice cream boxes can be brought fairly cheaply online) and freeze for a good couple of hours before eating.



And that's all there is too it - happy churning!

Let me know how you get on.

Rach x

No comments:

Post a Comment