Saturday 16 April 2016

Slimming World Brownies

Today's post is a little different to my usual high calorie treats. Back in September I joined slimming world and since then I have lost 3 stone 5 and counting. Since this time there has been a steady decline in the amount of baking I have done because everyone at home is trying to be good and the temptation to have a spoonful of mixture is far too high.

Last week, our wonderful slimming world consultant Rich ask group members to review some of the slimming world recipe books. Instantly I said that if there is a dessert one that's my cup of tea and surprise surprise there is!


So this is the first of a few posts I will do focusing purely on slimming world baking and dessert making with my views on whether they match up to their full fat cousins. I might even have a go at making some of my own slimming world friendly recipes for the keen bakers and pudding eaters, like me who are also trying to watch their waistlines!

If you don't follow slimming world then you don't need to be too concerned about how it fits in to the healthy eating plan however just briefly women are allowed up to 15 syns a day whilst men can have up to 25. Syns are attributed to foods that are generally a little bit 'naughty' (sorry Rich, know that this word isn't usually used) such as chocolate, crisps, sweets, alcohol and ready made sauces to name but a few. So, when deciding what treats to have you should, to stay on plan, tally up the syns and make sure you don't go over. Slimming world recipes are adaptations of 'normal' recipes that makes a few subtle substitutions for healthier alternatives. If you want to know more, you can find your local group on the slimming world website.

Anyway, back to the recipe...


This recipe was supposed to have dried apricots in. However I'm not a fan of apricots so decided to substitute the 200g (10 syns worth as dried fruits have a syn value) for an equivalent syn value of chocolate because in my eye, chocolate brownies cannot have enough chocolate in.

Each brownies is 3.5 syns.

To make 24 (little) chocolate brownies you will need:

  • 110g low fat spread suitable for baking
  • 4 x 11g sachets of low calorie drinking chocolate powder
  • 2 x 18g cadburys dairy milk bars
  • 4 level tbsp sweetener
  • 60g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 110g self raising flour
  • 1 level tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
First things first, preheat your over to 180c fan and line a 20cm x 30cm traybake tin with greaseproof paper. Alternatively you could use mini cupcake cases - just make sure you divide the mixture equally.

  • Melt the low fat spread and chocolate together in a pan.

  • One melted mix in the caster sugar, sweetener and drinking chocolate.
  • Mix in the eggs and vanilla before sieving in the flour and baking powder and mixing well until it is all combined.
  • Transfer the mixture to your lined baking tin and bake for 20 minutes.
  • Once cooled cut into 24 equal sized portions.
  • You can eat them cold or warm them briefly in the microwave before serving with strawberries and low fat ice-cream (25g for 2 syns).
The cut up brownies can be frozen so there is no need to eat the whole batch. Just take them out of the freezer around 30 minutes before you want to eat them and warm them briefly in the microwave.

These were very quick and easy to make although, I would say they are more like little chocolate sponges rather than gooey chocolate brownies. Whilst the portions are small if you serve it with a large portion of speedy fruit these are a nice little pudding that you can have on plan.

I ate mine with 25g (2 syns) worth of low fat squirty cream and strawberries and had 2 segments of brownies using 9 of my 15 syns. I'd say it was worth the 9 syns - those who go to the same group as me will know I am not prepared to waste my syns on something without careful thought!
Accurately measuring my cream

So recipe number one from the desserts book was a hit although if it is brownie you are after this will probably leave you a little disappointed. Regardless if it a nice chocolate sponge.
Let me know how you get on if you decide to have a go.

Happy slimming and baking!

Rach x

No comments:

Post a Comment