Friday 12 February 2016

Back to blogging and back to baking

It seems like a long time ago that I sat down to write a blog post and today could not be a more fitting day to get back to it. Today is the birthday of Stevie Feathers (my boyfriend) and it is also the first birthday of this very blog


This time last year I started 'Baked by Rach' after I had a phone interview with the Great British Bake Off which inspired me to bake even more. I created this blog because I wanted to get better in the hope that one day I would be in that infamous tent and baking would take over my life. Sadly, this was not to be last year. This year I hesitated as to whether to apply again and I did. No phone call this year and whilst the cut off for hearing is the end of February I have come to terms with the fact that I'm not destined to hear the words 'ready, steady, bake' as I stand quivering behind one of those beautiful pastel kitchen benches. I have however brought myself a 'star baker' mug which will have to do!

I have baked lots since I started my blog and in fact in the last year I have written over 40 blog posts and recipes. I have had 8000 visits by friends, family and passers by checking out what I have made. I am well aware that many blogs get more visitors than this a day but considering my adhoc approach to posting, impatience with the finishing touches and mediocre photography I am please with this.

My relationship with baking has taken a few ups a downs during this year. I couldn't stop baking for the most part but then when I took on a few commissioned bakes I started to hate it! I did not like the pressure of baking for money and the enjoyment I had fizzled away. Then I joined slimming world, started a new job, went to Australia and so life got in the way a little bit and baking took a side step.

This year, I still plan to get better, I have already been on a chocolate making course (more on this to come), next weekend I am going on a royal iced biscuit course and later in the year I will be going on a vintage cupcake course.

My plan for Baked by Rach is that posts will spring up every now and again - hopefully at least one a month as I document new recipes I try an skills that I learn.

So in celebration of Feather's birthday and the birthday of this blog I made a cake. It is the messiest cake I have ever made as in typical fashion I decided to make some chocolate lollies at the same time. When will I learn - only one project at a time! I had visions of a chocolate extravaganza but evening baking on a Friday after a full week at work led to very different results. Still,  despite the fact that it looks like a dogs dinner I thought I would include photos anyway after all - not every cake turns out like a show stopper! I did however put some of my chocolatier skills to good use and made some lollies and chocolate buttons to decorate it / distract from the messy icing.




Anyway, usual service will resume with future posts - less chit chat and more recipes.

For now though, happy baking!

Rach x

1 comment:

  1. Hehe I still think it looks amazing! Abstract but amazing! I bet Nene will still love it. Good luck with the show. I hope they call you xx

    ReplyDelete