Thursday 2 July 2015

Salted Caramel Brownies

364 days ago my big sister was quite poorly and was going to have to give up various things from her diet to avoid becoming unwell again. So, as a supportive little sister I said that I would give up something with her for a full year to provide moral support. I chose chocolate - my favourite thing! Throughout the year I have continued to bake lots of chocolatey things and have had to deligently decline trying all of them. On reflection I think that the most well received chocolate bake I have made was my marshmallow chocolate brownies so it was an adaptation of these that I decided would be my first taste of cocoa upon completing my year of abtinance.

I have opted to go for a salted caramel version to fully indulge!


For the brownie recipe and method simply click here... I halved the quantities which makes 12 large brownies or around 20 bite sized portions.

I used a salted caramel recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction. This salted caramel recipe makes one full jam jar worth of sauce and only a few tablespoons full are used in the brownies so the rest can be put in the fridge and used within the next couple of weeks for various other bakes - I might make some caramel ice-cream or use it to fill some macaroons.

To make these salted caramel brownies follow the recipe above but omit the marshmallows. When your mixture is made transfer half of it to a tray bake tin and then drizzle a few generous tablespoons of salted caramel over it before covering with the remaining brownie mixture and baking.

These brownies are incredibly gooey which does mean that cutting them into perfectly identical portions if nigh on impossible. In this case, I don't mind them being slightly 'rustic' looking as they are not going to last long enough for me to care!

My mum and sister have just had a sneaky taste whilst they were still warm and there were lots of 'mmms' with my sister proclaiming them as by best bake, needless to say I am very much looking forward to tucking into one tomorrow as a mid-morning treat with the ladies at work.




Over the coming week or so I plan to make a chocolate extravoganza cake reminiscent of the one Bruce Bogtrotter ate in the book Matilda so come back soon to see the results and recipe.

For now though, happy baking!

Rach x

No comments:

Post a Comment