Sunday 22 March 2015

Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies

I IAs well as treating my work colleagues to some lemon drizzle slices for our development day a couple of weeks ago I also whipped up a batch of chocolate marshmallow brownies.

When my Dad walked in from work to discover me baking again and asked what I was cooking he was less than impressed when I said 'brownies'. 'Urrrggh I'm not a fan of brownies' he proclaimed. However when  they were finished and I wanted a willing volunteer to test them on my behalf on account of not being able to eat chocolate, he obliged and his view on chocolate brownies were quickly changed. Through the 'mmmms' and 'aaaahhhs' he reminisced about his school days and I have promised to make another batch for him to have warm with chocolate custard. Every so often I get my icecream maker out - I think these would be great with some of my homemade french vanilla ice-cream. Another thing I will have to remake on the 3rd of July!






These went down a treat at work and the leftovers were duly shared out for the ladies to take home for their children and partners. These brownies are incredibly indulgent and gooey and everything a chocolate brownie should be - you can add your own little touch with a change to the filling or keep them as they are in this recipe.

To make around 20 - 22 generous portions of brownie you will need:

  • 350g unsalted butter
  • 130g cocoa powder
  • 680g of sugar (not a good recipe for anyone dieting!)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
  • 200g plain flour
  • 200g of your chosen filling. I picked to add an even amount chocolate chips (100g) and marshmallows (100g) but you could add white chocolate, nuts, fruit, or a combination of the above.
To start with heat your oven to 180c fan and line a traybake baking tin with greaseproof paper.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat - make sure you pick a fairly large pan as you're going to be adding the other ingredients.

Remove from the heat, sift in the cocoa power and mix well to combine. Next mix in the sugar until it's fully incorporated.

Beat the eggs and the vanilla together and add to the cocoa and sugar mixture. Sift in the plain flour and mix well until it is completely combined.

At this point you're ready to fold in your chosen mixture.

Pop the mixture into your prepared tin and cook for about 30 minutes. The centre of the brownies will remain quite soft but the edges should be firm. You don't want to over cook he brownies other wise they will loose their gooey consistency and be more cake like.


After removing the brownies from the heat allow them to cool in the tin before cutting into even portions. Dust with a little icing sugar to serve.




And that's all there is too it - very quick and simple to make but with delicious results.

Let me know how you get on - happy baking!

Rach x








No comments:

Post a Comment